In honor of NBA Madness, let’s talk about rebounds. Because that’s a basketball thing, right? Whatever. If basketball’s not really your cup of tea, you can always join the Lakers bandwagon so let’s all hope for Bryant’s speedy recovery from his left knee injury. Right bud?
Now let’s talk about the “rebound” guy, kasi yun naman talaga yung dahilan kung bakit mo binabasa ang blog na ‘to diba? Rebound guy is the victim on a rebound relationship (that’s what they said) but before we dig into that, let’s try to define first –what does rebound relationship mean.
According to Yahoo answer, rebound relationship is when you’ve been dumped and right after it go out with another guy(s) with the only purpose of trying to forget the previous BF or try to hurt his feelings. Or try to forget him. While Cath Meyer defines it as: a rebound relationship is one that occurs shortly after the break-up of a significant love relationship. If you are in a relationship but have distanced yourself emotionally from your relationship partner, you may begin a rebound relationship before you even leave the relationship you are in. If you move quickly from a long lasting relationship into another relationship then you are probably in a “rebound relationship.”
In other words, rebound relationship is just a plaster to avoid the pain of breakup. Mmmmkay! mukhang hindi magandang ma involve sa rebound thingy na yan diba? But no one can blame a rebound guy. He could be a rebound without being aware of it, yung tipong ginamit lang siya ni Girlie para ipamukha sa kupal niyang ex na nakapag move on na siya. Pwede rin naman na nag paka rebound guy siya with all of his consciousness involved. Heck yeah! ang sarap kaya maging rebound kay Girlie na matagal mong inabangan diba? Diba pre? Mag agree ka huy!
But let’s admit it, being in a rebound relationship doesn’t sound good, but can you tell when you are just a rebound for her? Are there signs? The good news is: Yes, there are signs to look out for!
1. She doesn’t want to talk about her ex. Any talk of exes makes her suddenly get a sad, distant look in her eyes. Sounds creepy
2. Conversely, she talks about her ex all the time. she brings him up out of nowhere, usually with bitterness. Perhaps she’s still in touch with the ex over email or IM. “We’re still friends,” she’ll say. Either way, he’s a part of your time together.
3. She will have a strong reaction to certain songs, movies, TV shows, etc. that remind her of break-up. Restaurants and bars that remind her of ex will also be a no-no.
4. After sex, she might cuddle or be romantic, but she’ll suddenly get distant and turn off the gooey stuff setting on his emotional faucet.
5. If you start getting too close, she will pull away. If you start asking about her past, she will get nervous. If you ask where things are going, she will immediately leap out the nearest window.
I agree that you are just “helping herself in the healing process”, and you feel so bad being aware that you are just a rebound. But dude rebounding into a new relationship can’t be all bad, right? I mean, Ellen Adarna seems like she’s having fun with that hot drift guy she’s supposedly dating.
Let’s consider some of the advantages and disadvantages of the rebound relationship:
Pro: You aren’t sitting at home moping, which is boring. Related: This also means you aren’t numbing your pain with an endless supply of beer and sizzling sisig. No weight gain here!
Con: She avoids dealing with her sadness, and all that repression might lead to a breakdown of epic proportions later, similar to this concept:
Con: Jumping into a relationship too quickly can end up making her feel worse later when she might realize she barely even like you, she was just blinded by the sex and/or not wanting to be alone.
Pro: Suck it ex-girlfriend! Your rebound girl is hotter and smarter and totally better in bed (or at least that’s what you’re telling all your mutual friends).
Con: She’s possibly just dating a guy who reminds her of her ex. In this case YOU. What you really need to be doing is breaking the cycle of making the same mistakes all over again.
See? It’s not always Cons when it comes to being a rebound, but let me clear this and if possible put this advice inside your cerebellum. Rebound is still a rebound, she may realize this sooner than you expected so walk the f*ck away from it while you still can.